Gentle Emergency Dentist in Webster, NY
A dental emergency happens when you least expect it. No matter how well you take care of your teeth, emergencies happen, and you need the help of an emergency dentist in Webster, NY. Empire Dental Care provides gentle emergency care for all the most common dental emergencies. If you aren’t sure whether it is an emergency, it’s a good idea to call our office and let us know what you are experiencing. There are many reasons you might need emergency dental care.
Common Emergencies Requiring an Emergency Dental Visit
The most common reasons you might need an emergency dentist include:
Mild discomfort or sensitivity does not usually require urgent dental care. However, a throbbing toothache needs attention, as soon as possible. There are several causes of this, including:
- Deep tooth decay near the nerve of the tooth
- An abscessed tooth caused by an infected nerve
- An abscessed gum due to untreated periodontal disease
- A deep crack inside the tooth
- Food trapped in the gum around a tooth
The treatment of a toothache varies according to the cause. Typical emergency treatments include:
- Root canal treatment
- Deep cleaning of the gums
- Prescriptions medications such as analgesics and antibiotics
Gingivitis or periodontal disease can cause swelling in the gums around several or all your teeth and is more likely to cause a dull pain rather than a throbbing toothache. However, if left untreated, gum disease can turn into a dental emergency.
Avulsed (or knocked out) tooth
- Avoid touching the root when handling the tooth.
- Gently rinse the tooth with water to remove any debris.
- Immediately replace the tooth in its socket if possible.
- If you can’t replace the tooth, keep it moist until you get to the dentist.
- Take the tooth and see your dentist, as soon as possible. Within 30 minutes is ideal.
Loose or missing crown or bridge
Broken or lost filling
Chipped or broken tooth
It is always unsettling to chip or break a tooth that can occur while eating, participating in sports, or even sleeping. You may experience sensitivity or pain when this happens. For this, you can take over-the-counter pain medications such as Ibuprofen or Tylenol. Treatment depends on how much damage the tooth suffered. The usual treatments include a filling, crown, or dental bonding.
Erupting wisdom teeth can cause infections that require emergency dental treatment. The cause of this is usually food lodging between the gums and the erupting tooth, causing pain and swelling in the gums. Leaving this situation untreated can lead to a severe and complicated infection of the jaw.
Wisdom tooth extraction also causes some dental emergencies. Despite proper tooth removal, a certain number of these extractions develop a dry socket or an infection and leads to severe pain or swelling.
Placing a medicated dressing alleviates pain from a dry socket. Antibiotics resolve most post-extraction infections.
How to Prevent an Emergency Dental Visit
Here are some steps you can take as precautions against some dental emergencies:
- Wear a custom-fitted protective mouthguard when participating in sports.
- Brush and floss your teeth thoroughly twice daily
- See Empire Dental Care every six months for an examination and teeth cleaning.
- Don’t chew ice, which tends to crack teeth easily.
- Ask Dr. Cohen about wearing a nightguard if you suspect that you grind your teeth at night.
We hope you never have any of the common dental emergencies described above. However, if you do, call our office at 585-671-1750 for a prompt consultation and gentle resolution of your dental problem.