Empire Dental Care, General Dentistry in Webster
A general dentist is the primary provider of dental care and treats patients of all ages. Empire Dental Care, General dentistry in Webster assesses your oral health and determines what you need to do to prevent gum disease and tooth decay. Keep reading to learn more about the types of services a general dentist performs.
What Do General Dentists Do?
Preventive Dental Services
During a routine checkup, your general dentist will examine your entire mouth for signs of tooth decay, gum disease, or other conditions. They aim to help you prevent the disease from happening in the first place. Preventative dental services include:
- Diagnostic imaging to assess jaw health, bite evaluation, the position of wisdom teeth, and other potential concerns
- Tooth/gum probing to determine the depth of the pockets surrounding the tooth, which is an indicator of gum health
- Sealants to prevent future tooth decay
- Professional cleaning to remove the plaque and tartar that can lead to tooth decay and gum disease
- Recommend prescription rinses or kinds of toothpaste to be incorporated into an at-home routine
- Application of fluoride to prevent tooth decay
Other services may include fabricating a mouth guard to stop teeth grinding, prevent snoring, or if you participate in sports that could risk tooth loss. A dental hygienist may perform some of the services related to cleaning and probing in the general dentist’s practice.
Restorative Dental Services
If your dentist has discovered that you require further treatment after completing the exam, they’ll use restorative procedures to fix the problem or prevent future damage. Some restorative dental services include:
- Removing tooth decay and filling in cavities
- Bonding treatment for chipped or cracked teeth
- Using inlays, onlays, fillings, and crowns to fix tooth structure
- Replace missing teeth with implants, bridges, and dentures
- Treat tooth and gum pain with periodontal therapy (non-surgical) to control gum disease. These procedures could include scaling, root planing, curettage to remove diseased gum tissue, and antibiotic irrigation.
- Some general dentists also perform root canal treatments and minor orthodontic services.
Cosmetic Dental Services
While most restorative procedures are done to restore damage from dental disease, many general dentists now perform elective cosmetic procedures. At times, the patient chooses them based on personal preference and to improve appearance, although not medically necessary. These cosmetic services can include:
- Teeth whitening
- Porcelain veneers
- Porcelain crowns and fixed bridges
- Composite fillings to match the color of your teeth
General Health Concerns
Your oral health is often said to mirror other health concerns. For example, if dental infections are not treated, they could lead to heart disease, diabetes, and problems during pregnancy. Making an appointment for general dentistry in Webster can identify whether you are at risk and recommend either a course of treatment or refer you to a specialist. A general dentist can offer health and wellness information that impacts your overall health-related to your teeth and gums. For example, your dentist may counsel you on proper nutrition and explain how smoking can lead to gum disease.
General Dentistry in Webster, NY
Empire Dental Care in Webster, NY, provides general dentistry services to patients of all ages. Members of our experienced team, led by Dr. Tehila Cohen, will thoroughly examine your teeth and gums using gentle techniques. We offer preventive advice to keep your mouth healthy and perform restorative procedures when an issue is discovered. Our practice also offers cosmetic dentistry to improve your smile. Schedule an appointment by giving us a call at 585.671.1650.