Believe it or not, over 60 million adults in the United States currently have gum disease. When left untreated, gum disease can have serious implications on your overall health and wellbeing. Keep reading to learn more about the importance of tackling gum disease head-on.
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is defined as an infection and inflammation of the mouth’s gum tissue, which can lead to bone and tooth loss over time. Some of the signs and symptoms of gum disease to be mindful of include:
- Bleeding, swollen, or red gums
- Changes in your bite
- Loose or painful teeth
- Halitosis, or bad breath
Why Is Early Gum Disease Detection So Important?
If any of the above symptoms are present, it is crucial to seek professional assistance right away. This is because when it comes to gum disease, the quicker you can catch and diagnose it, the better your health outcomes will likely be. Here are 2 major reasons why early detection of gum disease is very important:
#1: It Decreases The Likelihood of Other Health Conditions
Gum disease affects so much more than just your mouth. The inflammation and bacteria associated with periodontal disease have the potential to impact other parts of the body. Detecting gum disease and treating it early will significantly decrease your chances of acquiring a harmful secondary health condition.
Some of the conditions linked to gum disease include:
- Cancer: There are a variety of cancers that may be correlated with gum disease. In fact, studies indicate that gum disease increases the risk of stomach and throat cancer, the former by 52% and the latter by 43%.2
- Respiratory Diseases: Studies find that the extra bacteria from periodontal disease can be aspirated in the lung and contribute to respiratory conditions such as pneumonia and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.3
#2: It Is Easier To Reverse Damage of Gum Disease When It’s Caught Early
If gum disease is caught in due time, much of the problem can be completely reversed with the help of professional dental cleaning and continued proper oral hygiene. On the other hand, more severe cases of periodontal disease can lead to the need for more invasive procedures such as gum surgeries and bone grafts. Detecting gum disease early on will avoid unnecessary stress and pain.
How To Detect and Treat Gum Disease With Ease
Don’t wait until you spot the signs and symptoms of gum disease to practice proper oral hygiene and maintain regular dental cleaning appointments. It is important to always:
#1: Follow Basic Hygiene Practices
To prevent gum disease from occurring in the first place, make sure to:
- Brush: Brush your teeth and gums twice a day for optimal gum health.
- Floss: Simply integrating flossing into your twice-daily oral hygiene routine has the potential to reduce your risk of gum disease immensely. Flossing catches the food particles missed from brushing alone that will turn into harmful plaque when left in your mouth.
- Use Mouthwash: Mouthwash is an added measure for killing unwanted bacteria in the mouth.
#2: Schedule Regular Preventative Dental Appointments and Cleanings
As the conditions of the pandemic continue to improve, the dentist offices that closed down for routine cleanings are up and running once more. Make sure to schedule your dental appointment now if you missed one due to COVID-19. It is recommended that most people attend preventative dentistry appointments at least every 6 months.
At a dental appointment and cleaning, hygienists and dentists can help with scraping away excessive plaque and tartar buildup, assessing and examining your gums for signs of disease, and diagnosing the stage of gum disease that you are currently at.
If your dentist diagnoses you with gum disease during a regular dental appointment, they might refer you to seek the assistance of a periodontist. Periodontists are dentists that are specialized in gum disease. They can provide more intensive surgical interventions if need be.
Improve Your Gum Health With A Dentist You Can Trust
All in all, early detection and treatment of gum disease is essential for maintaining your oral and physical health. If you’re experiencing any symptoms of gum disease, it is paramount to be seen by a trusted dentist to diagnose and treat the problem fast.
For the best dental care in Webster New York, schedule an appointment with dental professionals at Empire Dental Care today! 585-671-1750